Saturday, January 30, 2016

First Impressions


Disclaimer: My Peace Corps experience is going to be markedly different from what you may imagine a Peace Corps experience to be. In Ecuador, TEFL volunteers are often placed in medium to large cities with working amenities, possible wifi access at home and there are even some instances of multiple volunteers living in the same city and/or working at the same school. 

What I've noticed so far: 

- Smiling faces and helping hands 
- Breathtaking, towering mountains
- Warm weather 
- Green!
- every few shops that you pass will be a flower shop 
- food is absolutely delicious (lots of veggies, meat, rice and fresh fruit)

Facts:
- 16,000 people in training center city 
- 2 million people in Quito 
- Training center city is called the "Garden of Quito"

Differences/Difficulties

- I showered with completely cold water the first morning I was here because I didn't realize that I was supposed to turn the nob to the left for the warm water (oops) 
- My host house doesn't have wifi but I do have my own room, working amenities, warm water (sometimes) and a washer for my clothes
- Altitude! I feel out of breath after 5 seconds of walking uphill/upstairs - I also was told that we aren't allowed to work out for 2 weeks until we have adjusted to the altitude 
- Can't pet the street dogs because they may bite and have rabies
- Spanish language is spoken with Kichwa thrown in

Peace Corps Training 

- so much paperwork! 
- I feel so much more informed of what's expected of me now 
- Staff is wonderful, supportive and incredibly knowledgeable 
- other peace corps volunteers are amazing, intelligent and as interested and excited to be here as I am 
- found out I will be swearing in (as long as I pass all parts of training) on April 12 
- placed into Advanced-mid Spanish class (only advanced-high and superior classes are above my level) 
- Was told that our omnibus has the highest overall level of Spanish probably in PC Ecuador history 
- training center has 3 floors, a kitchen, a rooftop terrace, many classrooms, a computer room and a medical office 
- I have no doubt that after all of the safety and security as well as medical trainings that we have planned, I will feel 100% equipped with the tools and strategies needed to stay safe, healthy and happy

Pictures for your viewing pleasure:  








6 comments:

  1. Man I am EXCITED for you and for everything you are experiencing/are going to experience! This seems amazing already! I'm glad your first week seems to have left you with such a positive outlook - that is a really great sign :D And yay for good food!

    I love you, and can't wait to hear more! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love you as well! Can't wait to skype :) <3

      Delete
  2. Wow! Sounds wonderful! You have a tremendous journey ahead of you. I can't wait to come and visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait for you to come visit either!

      Delete
  3. It all sounds and looks fantastic. The warmth and flowers are particularly enticing right now. We're so excited for you and proud of all you have done to make this great adventure a reality. I love you so so much Deebie! XO Mommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet! Especially with the cold winter you are probably having right now. It's so nice to be walking down the street and to always have a strong smell of flowers waft by you. I love you too! xoxo

      Delete