Sunday, January 24, 2016

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go

Emma, my older sister, managed to get time off of work this weekend, just so that she could come home, spend the weekend with me, and see me off to Miami on Monday. I am so happy I have the opportunity to spend my last few days stateside with her and my parents. I only wish my other sister, Lily, could be here as well. She starts school Monday, so didn't want to miss her first day of classes. I was able to spend most of this last month with her though, which I really enjoyed.

So many emotions and thoughts have been running through my mind these past few days. I can't believe that tomorrow is my last day in Montpelier for the next 27 months, and that Tuesday is my last full day in the United States. I've spent the last week visiting all of my grandparents (except for my mom's mother who I saw at Christmas), hanging out with my good friend Alana, buying host family gifts and last minute items that I had on my packing list, filling out forms at City Hall so that I can vote while in Ecuador, and of course PACKING.

For the past few weeks, whenever I have had the chance, I spent a few minutes finding a few items I knew I wanted to bring with me to Ecuador and placing them out on the bed so that they were ready to pack. I mostly focused on non-clothing items. This method was not only good visually for me, so that I could see everything that I was going to pack, but it also helped me to figure out what I still needed to go out and buy. On Wednesday, I finally packed everything, that has been lying on the bed for the past few weeks, into my suitcases.

Below are the bags that I'll be taking with me on my trip.



For better or for worse, I am so used to packing by now. Ever since I packed to go to Mexico for the first time, I've had to pack up my life into suitcases like these at least once a year. So for the past 6 years I've been perfecting my packing skills. I've learned that I really don't need that many things in my life. I often have packed many items that I thought would remind me of home but honestly just end up sitting on the shelf, wherever I end up, collecting dust. So now I mostly pack essentials - such as clothes, toiletries, electronics - and only a few things on my list are things that I don't really need. Those things end up being mostly books, games, photos and decorations.

For those of you who are interested, my packing list is attached below. It may seem like I packed a lot, but everything I packed are things that I will use often and all of it fit into the four bags seen above. For those who are not interested in reading my packing list, my next update is going to come to you from either Miami or Ecuador. Wish me luck!

(For reference - the big suitcase weighs just under 50 pounds. The hiking backpack weighs about 20 pounds. The daypack and the purse have barely anything in them.)

This packing job is a huge improvement from the 2 suitcases I brought with me for the year that I lived in Mexico (my first time abroad). They were each bigger than the black suitcase pictured above and were over 50 pounds each.

Packing List 

Clothing

  • 3 pants
  • 1 pair of Black Slacks
  • 2 Jeans
  • 2 maxi skirts
  • 8 Shirts
  • 3 long sleeve shirts
  • 4 tank tops
  • 4 dresses
  • 5 scarves
  • 12 Pairs of Underwear 
  • 5 pairs of thick socks 
  • 15 pairs of running socks
  • 6 bras
  • 2 workout bras
  • 2 pairs of running shirts
  • 3 pairs of running shirts
  • 1 pair black running pants
  • 1 pair spandex
  • 1 pair black leggings
  • 1 pair of Pyjamas
  • 1 Bathing Suit 

Jackets 

  • 1 Rain Jacket
  • 2 sweatshirts 
  • 1 fleece
  • 3 cardigans/sweaters

Electronics 

  • Computer & Charger
  • iPod & Charger
  • Phone & Charger
  • Camera & Battery
  • Flip Video Camera
  • Headlamp & Batteries
  • Earphones
  • USB
  • Hard Drive

Shoes

  • Black Formal Shoes
  • Rainboots
  • Flip-Flops
  • Vans Sneakers
  • Running Sneakers (will wear on the plane) 
  • Shoe Fresheners and Blister Control

Bathroom

  • Bath Towel
  • Medicine bottles
  • Makeup
  • Hairties
  • Lotion (2 bottles) 
  • Tissues (2 travel packs) 
  • Body Spray 
  • Travel Size Shampoo, Body Wash and Conditioner
  • Floss
  • Deodorant
  • Razors and replaceable heads
  • Toothbrush & Toothpaste
  • Earplugs
  • Tampons (4 boxes) -- I'm really nervous these will either be very hard to find or extremely expensive, because they were both of these things in Mexico. 


Bedroom

  • Washing Line 
  • Sheets & Pillowcase
  • Room Decorations
  • Photos 

Desk

  • Daily Planner
  • Paperwork
  • Notebook
  • Pen
  • Journal
  • 4 Books 
  • Envelopes and Stationary
  • Colouring Book & Pencils

Miscellaneous
  • Passport
  • Wallet
  • Sunglasses (1 pair)
  • 1 Nalgene Bottle
  • 1 set of Cards
  • SET
  • Bananagrams
  • Cribbage Board
  • Jewellery (earrings and necklaces) 
  • Jewellery display
  • Duct Tape
  • Sunshine Book
  • Sewing Box
  • Host Family Gifts (Maple Syrup & Maple Candies)


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks like you're really ready to go, sweet daughter. I love you! You are deeply loved by your family. The people of Ecuador are lucky to have your service for the next 27 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so so glad I was able to come home and see you, too! I'm so glad I got to spend time with you, and it makes me even more excited for planning to come visit! Also this packing list makes the organizer in me super happy. I'm honestly impressed you were able to pare it down to this. Love you! <3

    ReplyDelete