Monday, January 11, 2016

Language Proficiency Interview

I just finished a Skype interview with a very nice woman from the Peace Corps office located in Nayon, Quito, Ecuador. It was my language proficiency interview (as you may have assumed from the title of this post), so the entire interview was conducted in Spanish. The first thing I noticed (besides how nice the woman was), was the fact that in Ecuador, instead of saying !Qué padre! they say !Qué chevere! Makes me excited to learn all of the ins and outs of Ecuadorian Spanish.
The interview itself lasted about 30 minutes. I was asked to talk about myself, why I thought it was important to learn other languages, what my plans are for the last two weeks before I head off to Ecuador etc. I was also given a scenario and asked to act out what I would say in that particular situation. Although there was really no reason for me to be, I was incredibly nervous throughout the entire interview. The only thing the interview is going to be used for is to see what level language class I will be placed in upon my arrival in Ecuador. I believe that upon my arrival in Ecuador, I will be shortly interviewed again, just to make sure that I have been placed in the correct level. 
Language classes will take up around 2 hours of our day, 5 days a week, and there will be about 5 volunteers in each group. What I am particularly excited about is that, apparently the way in which language classes are conducted, we will learn certain vocabulary etc. inside the classroom, but we will then also go out into the community and have the opportunity to use the language with people in Quito. 
2 weeks until my arrival in Miami for staging. 2 weeks and 1 day until my arrival in Ecuador. Getting pretty excited. 

4 comments:

  1. And the excitement continues! I am so excited for you, dear sweet daughter. Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the interview was going to be face to face in an office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope :) On Skype! The person who was interviewing me is Ecuadorian and skyped me from the office in Ecuador.

      Delete